[IP] One Internet provider's view of FBI's CALEA wiretap push

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Fri Apr 23 12:31:31 PDT 2004

At 11:33 PM 4/22/04 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> This will produce a loud bang, obviously.
>
>Thermite is a good choice to turn your fileserver into lava, but that
thing
>better be outside, or mounted in chamotte- or asbestos-lined metal
closet.
>Will produce smoke, and take some time, too.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about the sensory impact of various
methods.  Varying amounts of bang vs. heat vs smoke vs lava.   Obviously
they
affect usage environment.

>If your keyring's been securely wiped, rubberhosing the passphrase out
of you
>to unlock it will give the attacker very little. Assuming the device is

>powered on, and easily triggerable, that would be quickest.

Yes, particularly if USB flash memory has no persistance.  But there is
no "clear" button on a USB dongle.  "Secure clear" would require a small

amount of logic.

>Assuming the knuckle-draggers will know a CFS from a corrupted FS or a
dead
>drive, that is.

You know the rules of the game, you have to assume that.