[IP] One Internet provider's view of FBI's CALEA wiretap push

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Fri Apr 23 09:32:09 PDT 2004

At 07:43 AM 4/23/2004, Trei, Peter wrote:
>If you're dealing with a state-level attacker, any
>scheme involving explosives or incendiaries would get
>the attackee in as much or more trouble than the
>original data would.
>
>This is a hard problem. I suspect any solution will
>involve tamper-resistant hardware, which zeroizes
>itself if not used in the expected mode.

Right, there are at least two workable solutions-

Hard drives with user alterable firmware. I surprised that none of the
major drive manufacturers seems to have thought about offering a version of
their controllers, for substantially more money, that offers this.

A retrofit device that screws into the side of the hard drive and is set to
inject a corrosive that almost instantly destroys the drive surfaces.  The
device can be triggered by any number of intrusion detectors or a
voice-activated system keyed to the operators voice print.

steve