Anonymity vs reputation question

An Metet anmetet at freedom.gmsociety.org
Mon Apr 19 02:57:06 PDT 2004

> Thinking about something, I found an interesting problem. It is possible
> to set up a reputation-based system with nyms, where every nym is an
> identity with attached reputation.
>
> Is it possible to have a system where nyms can share reputation without
> divulging the links between them? That would allow the possibility of eg.
> publishing as a "new" identity while still having the "weight" of an
> already established seasoned professional.

Yes, you can do this, but there are some problems.

First, what is a reputation?  Reputations are in people's minds.  Any nym
will have a different reputation with different people.  The only way
the new nym could have exactly the same reputation with everyone would
be for it to be explicitly linked to the old nym, defeating the purpose
of switching.

Therefore the new nym's reputation will have to be a simple subset of
the reputation of the old nym, in order that many nyms will have equal
reputation and the new one won't be linked.  This suggests a simple
boolean ranking where one or more respected figures can give their
endorsement to a nym, and then the new nym can start up and say that it
is endorsed by so-and-so.  As long as that person gave out quite a few
endorsements then there will not be too much linkage to the old nym.

As someone mentioned, this is the problem which is solved by cryptographic
credentials, like those of Chaum or Brands.  The "reputation judge"
gives out an endorsement credential to those nyms he deems worthy; then
through various cryptographic techniques these credentials can be shown
by the new nyms.

A simple version of this would be to use the same Chaum blind signatures
that are used for ecash.  When the reputation judge gives out the
credential, in addition to signing the nym, he also issues a blind
signature on a blinded identity offered by the nym owner.  The judge
can't see what nym he is signing, but later that nym can show that its
identity is signed by the reputation judge.  Brands credentials basically
work this same way.

A problem with this is that only one new nym gets endorsed, so the
holder can only switch identities once.  To fix this, the judge could
issue several blind signatures, say about 5, which would accommodate
that many identity switches.

An even simpler approach would be for the reputation judge to create a
common public key to be used as a signing key by everyone he endorses.
When he endorses someone he reveals to them, privately, the secret key
used to sign with the common public key.  Then all nyms who have received
the endorsement can sign with the common key in addition to their own.
When the nym switches identities he still knows the common signing key
and can sign with it along with the new nym.

The problem with this class of systems is that if anyone leaks the common
private key, then the security of the endorsement is lost and anyone
can pretend to be endorsed.  A similar flaw with the previous proposal
is that if someone gets several blind endorsements, they might give some
away or sell some, and the new buyers might misuse them, cheapening the
value of the endorsement.

Yet another method, good if there aren't more than a dozen or so nyms
which are endorsed, is to use a ring or group signature.  The reputation
judge publishes a list of keys that he endorses, and then anyone on the
list can make a signature which can be verified as coming from one of
the keys, but there is no way to tell which one made it.

This has a security problem similar with the 2nd approach, that someone
on the list could secretly give away his private key to other people,
and they could sign bad messages, with no way to tell which person
on the list created them.  The reputation judge could address this by
withdrawing his endorsement of the last few list members, and seeing if
the problem goes away, but it would be a complicated and messy situation.