Anonymity vs reputation question

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Sat Apr 17 05:55:39 PDT 2004

Thinking about something, I found an interesting problem. It is possible
to set up a reputation-based system with nyms, where every nym is an
identity with attached reputation.

The problem is, a nym that exists for a long time can get its anonymity
partially or fully compromised. Abandonment of the nym and using a blank
one leads to loss of the reputation and related credibility.

Is it possible to have a system where nyms can share reputation without
divulging the links between them? That would allow the possibility of eg.
publishing as a "new" identity while still having the "weight" of an
already established seasoned professional.

I suppose this problem is already known and maybe even solved. Am I
correct?