On Killing Blaster

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 06:51:25 PDT 2004

"Where are you going to buy your hardware from, that it can't be
shut down?   How are you going to hide your TX from the DXing
white vans?"

Well, you made some interesting points. Actually, it would seem that some of
the Islamic regimes as well as mainland China have been at least partially
successful in blocking 'objectionable' content. So in a state where the
forces that be have made a fairly complete victory, it just might be
possible I guess to close down objectionable physical bits.

So I guess that still has to be weighed against the value of human life. My
point was that "Needs Killing" is something that should be considered fairly
carefully...acted upon only when there's really no alternative. (But then
again, you may have only been talking. You ever kill anyone Variola?)

-TD

>From: "Major Variola (ret)" <mv at cdc.gov>
>To: "cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net" <cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net>
>Subject: Re: On Killing Blaster
>Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:03:30 -0700
>
>At 04:26 PM 4/11/04 -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
> >"When faced with force, you reply with force when you can."
> >
> >Nah. This isn't even true in a fistfight, except when the guy you're
> >fighting is a) significantly smaller than you, and b) less trained.
>More
> >often than not, if someone attacks you, it's because they either have
>or
> >perceive themselves to have an overwhelmingly superior force.
>
>See "asymetric warfare"
>
>Sometimes a stronger adversary decides its not worth it.  See Lebanon
>and a few hundred dead Marines.  See Vietnam.
>
>(Speaking of which, I heard McCain arguing that if we leave .iq
>the place becomes a hotbed of 'terrorism'.  Anyone remember the
>Domino theory?)
>
>And of course, if it's possible to
> >diarm your opponent without actually killing or maiming him, that's
> >sometimes far more appropriate...
>
>No, then he'll sue you.
>
> >As someone said better than myself, Crypto is one little tool in an
>aresenal
> >against "Men with Guns"...in the end Men With Guns will probably try to
>
> >shoot away bits, but it's not going to work too well.
>
>You forget that there are no bits which are not physical.  Physical
>things reside on land leased from the State (try not paying your
>real estate taxes).  All cables make a landing somewhere.
>
>Meanwhile, P2P, WiFi,
> >Crypto,and lots of other stuff will slowly start to chip away at things
>on
> >the edges, until the core is exposed.
>
>Where are you going to buy your hardware from, that it can't be
>shut down?   How are you going to hide your TX from the DXing
>white vans?

Premium!