legally required forgetting

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 13 19:47:01 PDT 2004

At 07:20 PM 4/10/04 -0400, An Metet wrote:
>BlackNet thwarts such limitations on the reporting of consumer credit.
>Clearly, providing access to this data harms individual privacy.
>Yet Cypherpunks traditionally have supported this concept.  A privacy
>advocacy group promotes technology which would aid the compilation of
>individual dossiers and allow access to personally identifying data
>about past financial transactions.

All that's needed is for a creditor to publish the names and addresses of
his 180-day overdue accounts in some public forum, or to file lawsuits that
become public record.  Web-accessible archives will do the rest.  It's not
like the credit reporting rules would necessarily keep a private
investigator now from finding out that you declared bankruptcy twenty years
ago.

>Today, the Cypherpunks list is but a shadow of its former glory, with
>anarcho-capitalism all but forgotten in favor of fashionable nihilism,
>libertarians replaced by liberals.  Perhaps it is not too late to
>resurrect the ideals of the past, but it will require hard work and open
>mindedness on the part of all.

Well, some of the ideals, or at least assumptions, haven't survived
encounters with the facts too well.  Moore's law has continued apace,
strong crypto is widely available, but would anyone claim we have more
privacy now than in 1990?  Nor is this only because of 9/11 (asymmetric
warfare apparently *does* work pretty well, though it's hard to see how
that's done anything for the cause of freedom in the US); surveilance
cameras, OCR, biometric readers and data mining techniques are all getting
cheaper.  The split seems to be that most people lose privacy, while those
who really care a lot gain a little privacy, albeit by standing out as
obvious people-with-something-to-hide, activists, or cryptographers.  The
math behind anonymous payment schemes is well-understood, and processors
are fast enough to do signatures and blinding and all the rest pretty
painlessly, now.  But e-commerce is still all about credit cards over SSL
(on a browser that is manifestly *not* a piece of security software!), if
that.

It's ironic.  All the things that seemed like barriers to serious privacy
for the masses--Clipper, export controls, the RSA patent, processors barely
powerful enough to do serious public key operation before the user lost
patience--are either gone or much-diminished.  But we still don't have
serious privacy for the masses, or even widespread use of crypto in a way
that protects communications privacy.  It's not like I expected my mom to
be making her money trading gold-denominated Burmese opium futures[1] by
now.  But I at least expected my phone calls and e-mails to her not to be
trivially tapable!

[1] Classical reference

--John Kelsey, kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
PGP: FA48 3237 9AD5 30AC EEDD  BBC8 2A80 6948 4CAA F259