Hierarchy, Force Monopoly, and Geodesic Societies

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 12 13:37:37 PDT 2004

Jim Dixon wrote...

>>A) Two links to the same ISP:  In terms of redundancy for the purposes of
>>being fault tolerant, only one of the multiple links is ever used.  With

>You don't understand and you are quite wrong.

>If one AS has more than one link to another AS, there are often very good
>reasons for it, and both links are used.  If network A peers with network
>B in both Paris and New York, both will generally dump traffic for the
>other network at the nearest connection.

He's not wrong, he's merely kinda confused on this issue. Any big link
(T1/DS1/DS3/STS-3c...) into an ISP provided by the telecom service provider
is almost certainly protected via SONET. SONET architectures can provide
various forms of protection (not all utilize redudant compies of the
data...UPSR and Linear 1+1 do, BLSR is different).

Of course, the router does not see that redundancy and can not make use of
it. The multiple links that do exist (each of which protected behind the
scenes by the telecom service provider) can be utilized by the router. If
one of those links goes down (perhaps it was unprotected "extra traffic" in
a BLSR and there was a fiber cut), the router will just send the stuff
through the other link.

-TD