Meshing costs, the price of RAH's battery

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 10 19:00:11 PDT 2004

"Meshing may not be free.  I think we agree."

Well, parts of it will not be free. However, I still think that even though
routing someone else's packets does not benefit me directly, it is this
activity which gives rise to the mesh. I guess, "do unto others..." P2P is
basically the same...remember, in the simplest versions there was never any
need to make content available. However, P2P-ers seemed to innately
understand that P2P won't really be possible unless one is a source as well
as a sink.

In the WiFi version it'll be easy to start to "triage" certain kinds of
activity as battery power runs thin...first, a throttle down to only routing
packets of a certain application (or VLAN or whatever). (This actually does
make sense because it eats a hell of a lot more battery power transmitting a
packet than receiving it.) Second, when the battery is within X minutes of
dying then only listening and not transmitting.

But I think my main point holds: even 'reglar' folks will realize that
there's a "gobal" benefit to routing someone else's packets, even if that
does eat into remaining battery time.

-TD