Fortress America mans the ramparts

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Apr 10 10:13:09 PDT 2004

At 08:54 AM 4/10/04 -0700, Steve Schear wrote:
>>  Wolfe is also scathing of steps taken post September 11 to protect
>>airports. "It's not real security. This is eyewash security. This is
for
>>public consumption so that people think that they are doing
something."

>Several years ago, on this list I belive, I coined a word to describe
such
>foolery - securisimilitude.

"Security theatre" is perhaps as good, and fewer syllables besides.

"Fortress America" might be "Maginot-Asylum America" more precisely.

PS: what happens if your passport's chip doesn't work?   Do you get
sent back and the airline fined $10K?  Do you wait extra time while
the still-readable passport number indexes your record online?
How much extra time?  (Anyone have experience with domestic
eg traffic pigs discovering that your magstrip is corrupted?)

Are all chip biometrics encrypted with the same key?  How much does
that cost on BlackNet these days?    How much extra should our Seals
Flaps
and Documents dept charge?

----
Do you need an air quality management district permit to burn hostages?