voting, KISS, etc. (& social bias)

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Fri Apr 9 10:31:50 PDT 2004

Perry I agree with you on all *except* that you are prejudiced
against folks who are not mobile, have immobile dependants, are busy
or agoraphobes.

In-person voting doesn't resist graveyard voting much better than
lining up the meat.
One could say that in-person voting rewards those too lazy or careless
with their time
to request absentee status.

Home voting is important to keep participation high.  I believe 25%
of the Calif governor votes were absentee.   Participation is nominally
a figure of merit for elections.

And the voter authentication is the weakest I know of: to register you
submit a name, signature, and address.  To vote, you submit
same.  Nothing prevents graveyard registration except the law.

Why is this relevent?  Because you have to consider threat models.
Spousal coercion & vote buying is one, well-addressed in this thread.
So are tech-implementation and social-trust issues.

Snipers or bombers at polling places is another, ignored because
we're all modern westerners.  Rain and immobility have only been
touched on because most of us can drive and walk.

Voting from home should be *encouraged* and it should use
paper as the transport, not computers.  (The paper being kept
by the counters not the voters.)  Which is how it should
be at the in-person polls.

Again, keeping tech away is good, fighting coercion is good, but
don't argue against absentee voting.  In fact, absentee voting
(vs. tech in the polling booth) is a good *example* of how to
keep things simple and resistant to many (eg tech-enabled) attacks.