Powell admits "mobile weapons factory" scam

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Sat Apr 3 16:35:23 PST 2004

J.A. Terranson (2004-04-03 22:22Z) wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Justin wrote:
>
> > The intelligence, even if it was originally true, may have been
> > leaked and then the mobile (and other) weapons factories and storage
> > destroyed.  The intended result would have been the current
> > situation, with the Bush administration and intel community looking
> > like idiots and the "soft on terror" Democrats having a foreign
> > policy advantage in Nov 2004.
>
> Has it not occurred to you that having Powell make the first statement
> may be designed to avoid having Bush make the [obvious and needed]
> statement?
> [...CIA manufactured intel under Bush's orders...]

Of course that's a possibility.

I don't think the CIA is that corrupt.  I think the failure to consider
the three options I set out (and undoubtedly others I haven't) is a more
likely reason for finding believable intel than orders from above to
manufacture intel.  Didn't they even name a source or two for their
mobile weapons lab information?  While that's no guarantee the claimed
source(s) exist, it lends credibility to alternatives that don't require
such a vast conspiracy, alternatives that wouldn't create such a
political nightmare.

I prefer to believe that the CIA is incompetent rather than dishonest.
The fact that they're using Jennifer Garner to try to recruit people
seems to bolster my theory.

--
"You took my gun.  It's just your word against mine!"
"Not necessarily."