David Kelly's "suspicious death"

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Sat Apr 3 16:07:09 PST 2004

Harmon Seaver (2004-04-03 22:44Z) wrote:

> Here's another meme on the issue:
>
> >U.S. Unloading WMD in Iraq
> >
> >In addition, former chief UN weapons inspector Hans Blix has emphasized
> >that the U.S. and British intelligence agencies issued false reports on
> >Iraq leading to the U.S. attack.
> >Meanwhile, the suspicious death of weapons inspector David Kelly is also
> >an unresolved issue in Britain.

Everyone knows that he committed suicide.  Just like Vince Foster.

Incidentally, last Tuesday the Supreme Court ruled that the Vince Foster
death-scene photos are not subject to FOIA requests.  Kennedy even cited
_Antigone_ as reason to protect already-taken death-scene photos of a
scandal-embroiled public official (p. 9).

The claimed rationale was that people requesting such photos must have
some evidence (presumably a witness who claims knowledge that Foster was
murdered) rather than just an unsubstantiated hunch.  Otherwise, says
Kennedy, privacy interests of the family outweigh public right to know.

It's amusing the Supreme Court is unwilling to extend it's fear of
"appearance of corruption" to cases like this.  It's also amusing that
they can't seem to find any difference between FOIA requests for
death-scene photos of a public official mixed up in a scandal and, as
Kennedy suggests, FOIA requests by murderers of death-scene photos of
their victims, private citizens.

The Appeals court had ordered the release of four of the (11?) pictures.

NARA v. Favish - 02-954 - 2004-03-30
http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/03slipopinion.html

--
"You took my gun.  It's just your word against mine!"
"Not necessarily."