[p2p-hackers] Re: desiderata and open issues in ent

Myers W. Carpenter myers at maski.org
Mon Sep 29 19:05:27 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 04:23:24PM -0400, Zooko wrote:
> Networking researchers and Internet hackers like to talk about "solving the
> NAT problem", but I suspect that the people who actually make the decisions
> consider it to be a feature and not a problem.

I suspect that at this point the people who actually make the decisions are
about as clueless as Aunt Millie (sorry Aunt Millie).

Actually, if you want to look at the main decision-maker-by-default,
Microsoft, you see that they are pushing NAT traversal.  Why?  Because it
allows them to have neat features like Video/Voice Conf. (which was actually
the key reason we got these UPnP routers at work).

Also take a look at their Three Degrees project.  Key dependency for this is
IPv6 and Teredo [1].  I'm tempted to see if this could be used within Mnet.

I think it's a good idea to take the bull by the horns now and add in
support for these technologies.  Put an indicator on your app to show the
user what kind of connection they have. For example a yellow indicator or,
if you are Peekabooty, a big frowning bear (maybe he could spit at you and
call you names?) when you can't accept incoming connections.  Make them
feel like they aren't getting the full deal.

Make the user want it to the point that the other people who make decisions
(you know "THEM") can't just slip this one by.

myers

1 - "Teredo, also known as IPv4 network address translator (NAT) traversal
for IPv6"
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechno
l/winxppro/maintain/Teredo.asp