[mnet-devel] progress implementing emergent networks

Zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sun Sep 28 16:12:19 PDT 2003

Myers reported (I think) that his twisted Chord network passes a unit test
where you start with two separate Chord networks and introduce one node from
the first net to one node from the other, and then the two nets merge.

Meanwhile, I've finished implementing a version of ent (based on Kademlia)
which keeps only one node per k-bucket, and fixed several bugs, but there
remains some bug that I haven't investigated (I'm out of time) which causes it
to fail the basic "contruct a network, publish a block, fetch the block" unit
test.  (Please, someone fix it, as I'm probably busy this week.)

I just wanted to comment that there is no way known (to me at least) for
Kademlia to pass the unit test that Myers is using on his Chord net -- merging
two separate nets into one.  Kademlia can't do that AFAIK.  (This is one way
of observing the "Kademlia doesn't self-heal" problem.)

I also wanted to mention that Chord can sometimes fail, too, if the nets
happen to line up so that the resulting merged Chord net is "loopy".  The
Liben-Nowell paper [1] explains how to fix that.

--Z

[1] http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/553810.html