free hosting for cpunkly projects...

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri Sep 26 12:47:51 PDT 2003

remops and cpunks:

http://www.1and1.com are offering:

	512 MB disk space
	ssh and ftp access
	pop, mail etc.
	5GB/month free bandwidth
	cgi/php/mysql

free for 3 years as an advertising ploy to get into small business /
personal web posting.

They use a computerized phone call back to prevent people being silly
and registering thousands of accounts, so you have to give them your
phone#.  (And that works for US and Canadian numbers only).

But they don't require a credit card (unless you start buying extras).

btw They also have the cheapest domain registration I've seen so far
at $6/year.

You also don't have to transfer your domain to them in order to host
there, you can just point your existing domain's DNS to them, and they
also will optionally keep your existing MX in their DNS so your mail
is handled however it was before.

Well just thought remops and cpunks might find some interesting uses
or it would be a bonus to people working on crypto / remailer coding,
or internet service type stuff to have some serious hosting to work
with or do dev work in.  (They have gcc, pgp, ssh etc installed).

They seem quite serious hosting-wise and I got a 12 hr turn around on
a fix for a system /etc/csh.cshrc bug that was preventing me changing
my shell to tcsh which is pretty impressive.  (Most hosting shops
wouldn't bother answering or would fob you off, or your query would
not get anywhere near someone clue-full enough to understand never
mind tweak and fix the minor problem).

Their bandwidth is supposed to be pretty good too as they have 12Gbits
connectivity.  Claim to have been in business for 11 years.

3 years free seems pretty generous (most free offers are a few months
or 1 year tops).  The offer is available only until 31st Dec this
year.

>From what I could see from the two I did (one for someone else) based
on serial number on account it looks like they might be signing up
around 1000 accounts per day.  So I could imagine they might pull the
offer also if they got too much take up!

Have phun.

Adam