Encrypted search?

Ralf-P. Weinmann weinmann at cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Sep 23 15:02:32 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 06:45:21PM -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
> Got a crypto question here.
>
> Let's say I push out a list I'd like to keep secret to some client machine.
> The user of that machine must enter some ID or other piece of information. I
> want the client machine to perform a search of that ID vs the contents of a
> list (again, resident locally on that machine), but I don't want the user to
> be able to see the other entries of that list.

Have a look at "Searchable Public Key Encryption" by Boneh et al [1] and
Song, Wagner and Perring's paper "Practical Techniques for Searches on
Encrypted Data" [2].

Cheers,
Ralf

[1] D. Boneh, G. Di Crescenzo, R. Ostrovsky and G. Persiano, Searchable
    Public Key Encryption, IACR ePrint 2003/195
    http://eprint.iacr.org/2003/195/

[2] D. Song, D. Wagner and A. Perrig, Practical Techniques for Searches on
    Encrypted Data, in Proc. of the 2000 IEEE symposium on Security and Privacy
    (S&P 2000).

--
Ralf-P. Weinmann <weinmann at cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>