Verisign's Wildcard A-Records and DNSSEC Plans?

Eugen Leitl eugen at denver065.server4free.de
Fri Sep 19 02:48:22 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:17:00AM -0400, Tyler Close wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 September 2003 11:38, Morlock Elloi wrote:
> > That is the problem when a centralized technical solution relies on the
> > legal system (and they almost always do.)
> >
> > What is important is how and if will this accelerate alternate solutions
> > for name space management.

Machines can handle numerical addresses, as a stop-gap measure search
engines (hardcoded into browsers) obviate the need to memorize URIs.
Though there are several competing
search engines, this is of course still mostly a single point of failure.

We here all probably agree that the days of open online publishing are
counted,
and that traffic-remixing P2P (which, by tweaking parameters could be
used to implement a BlackNet) networks will rapidly displace the WWW,
once a usable system appears on the scene.

The publishers knows the cryptographic hash of the document, and can
submit it to full-text indexing search services. Each P2P node should
come with a search engine, which uses part of the store space to keep
an index.

Denial of service can be counteracted by agoric load levelling, and
prestige accounting. If you provide shitty service, your node gets
consulted less and less, and your requests are processed with lower
and lower priority. If you push out documents, you have to provide
store, bandwidth and crunch, building an impeccable prestige over a
long periods of time.

Given the recent history, it looks hard to develop a usable system
which gets all of the above right, so it will obviously take a while.

I haven't spent much time reading up on YURLs, so I can't comment
on that. What's the local consensus on the Waterken feller?

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]