Verisign's Wildcard A-Records and DNSSEC Plans?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Sep 16 02:18:17 PDT 2003

Matt - I'm interested in finding out Verisign's plans for
DNSSEC support for the *.com and *.net wildcards.
Are there obvious semantics for securing them?
What does it mean to say that "64.94.110.11" is or is not
certified by .com as the address for bad-example-12345.com ,
or that something else is?  Is it really the same as a
wild-card that points to real sites?  Your Best Practices says that
it's not incompatible with DNSSEC, but doesn't say anything
about whether you're using it or suggesting others do.
(For other readers, "64.94.110.11" is the IP address I got
from running "dig a '*.com'" to look at the wildcard DNS response.)

By the way, http://64.94.110.11 returns a nice friendly
web page telling me that there's no web server at 64.94.110.11 :-)

Has there been any security analysis of the effects of putting a
large chunk of Javascript in the response page?  I didn't see
Mozilla listed in the collection of browsers the Javascript was
looking for; perhaps I'm under the radar or perhaps it's
handling it as Netscape (or I missed it in the non-human-readable formatting.)

What are the security implications of the wildcard servers
getting compromised or DDOSed?  In the past,
if my browser or email tried to go to nonexistent-example.com,
it'd get a reject from my system's DNS resolver and fail;
now it starts up a TCP connection to your machines,
so I have to worry about what your machines will say,
and what happens if I can't reach your Internap connection for some reason.
Is it appropriate to have the address be Verisign's?
Or should you be using some special address from IANA?
(I suppose it only takes 15 minutes to change if you change your mind...)

                  Thanks;  Bill Stewart
                      bill.stewart at pobox.com