Wall Street Protest

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 14 19:06:44 PDT 2003

Walked by an interesting protest outside the stock exchange last week.

In the "pen" in front were probably no more than 600 people attending a
protest against the well-named "Patriot Act", and against Bush, Cheney,
Rumsfeld and their policies.

WHat was interesting was that, despite the relatively small numbers (I've
seen crowds 5 times that size allowed for other stuff), police were not
letting anyone into the area without an ID of some kind....I heard them
saying there was already "too many people there". (And by "area" I mean from
Broadway east, one block north of Wall South, and I don't know where the
other borders were...I'd bet someone who knew the area could probably find a
route in, but you'd have to get up through those wierd SE streets like
"Beaver" and so on.

A form of censorship? Definitely...like I've said...I've seen LOTS more
people allowed for other stuff (even Nader). There was plenty of room even
in the pen (Broad Street has been closed in front of the stock exchange
since 9/11/01...there's a series of barracades.)
Now obviously, the "authorities" would probably claim (if push came to
shove) that this particular group posed a greater risk than other groups.
(Or in NYC, depending on who was asking, they'd probably cite some specific
laws that pointed to their right to 'cap' the event at the levels it was
attended at at the time, and deny this group was being given special
treatment.)

Anyone see this on the news? I don't remember any major news trucks out
there...I wonder if their quote somehow excluded them also, assuming they'd
be interested (and they might be, if the numbers were much larger).

So...an interesting strategy:
A big anti-government rally is planned.
Cops show up early and deliberately make large numbers impossible.
News folks (already pre-disposed not to cover such an event) find even more
reason not to be interested given the small numbers.
Sheeple continue to watch TV and see no coverage of dissent, and assume
there is no dissent. Sheeple, assuming everyone else supports the war, now
support the war.