[cdr] Re: Another Cypherpunks Investigation?

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Sep 13 09:08:37 PDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, James A. Donald wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2003 at 17:46, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> > The FBI has been learning to use international extradition
> > over the last two years or so, and are actually getting to be
> > quite good at it from what I hear.
>
> This would greatly surprise me, for government bureaucracies
> are notoriously incompetent at dealing with anyone they cannot
> have pistol whipped.

As I understand it, they're simply having similar agencies from other
countries doing the appropriate PW, followed by an extradition from those
countries willing to do so.

> If police bureaucracy X has busted someone for their own
> reasons, they may well hand him over to police bureacracy Y,
> but police bureaucracy X is not going to bust someone because
> police bureacracy Y wants him.

There has been a lot of change in this area over the last two years.

> If Professor rat had killed a cop, or seriously pissed off an
> important politician, the FBI might get its act together enough
> and swallow its pride sufficiently to manage a successful
> extradition, but for this sort of minor crap, nothing will
> happen.

The feebs are in a position right now where it's not a matter of "swallowing
their pride", but rather a "corporate mandate" if you will: they have been
*ordered* to make these types of extraditions happen.

Of course, the next [obvious] question is where did I get this
information?  From work: we had an incident that resulted in an FBI call and
international players from third world countries.

If it's just Mattd they're looking for, then I too doubt that he's worth
putting the wheels in motion for, but if it's something they consider "real",
I have absolutely no doubt that they are now in a position to successfully
complete an international extradition

--
Yours,
J.A. Terranson