open WiFi defense to RIAA

Jamie Lawrence jal at jal.org
Fri Sep 12 10:26:45 PDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Major Variola (ret.) wrote:

> We also anticipate someone being sued for downloading a rip
> of a song they have a vinyl.  Ie, that they have legal rights to
> own a more convenient copy of.

RIAA has anticipated this ploy. The argument goes that one only has
the right to rip one's own recordings; bits from other's recordings are
not licensed.

Not commenting on buggy whips, genies, bottles, or the law,

-j

Jamie Lawrence                                        jal at jal.org
"Humans are at least as numerous as pigeons, their brains are
not significantly costlier than pigeon brains, and for many
tasks they are actually superior."
   -Richard Dawkins