Another Cypherpunks Investigation?

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Fri Sep 12 06:32:39 PDT 2003

Hi,

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I got to talk to a person
claiming to be with the DoJ in Philly (if memory serves). Apparently they
are investigating one or more posts in the Aug. time frame for something.
They were interested in a subpeona regarding technical information about the
list.

The person didn't make it clear exactly who they were investigating. The
questions were focused on how the mailing list worked and where there was
editorial opportunity. They were also interested in mail and network logs
for that time frame (which I don't normally keep past 3-4 days). I was
very carefull to explain that IP spoofing was easy to do so that the
veracity or reliability of the logs was in question.

I'm deciding not to provide the persons name and contact info since I'm
not sure what the effect would be. I requested they talk with my lawyer in
regards to future information and that I wasn't interested in getting
involved.

That's about all I have on the topic at this time.

 -- --
      ravage at ssz.com                            jchoate at open-forge.com
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.com