Anyone Remember Zero Knowledge Systems?

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Wed Sep 10 14:44:58 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:32:29AM -0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
| <http://www.cryptonomicon.net/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=455>
|
| Cryptonomicon.Net -
|
| Anyone Remember Zero Knowledge Systems?
| Date: Wednesday, September 10 @ 11:15:00 EDT
| Topic: Commercial Operations / Services

| Unfortunately, they never quite made a compelling enough argument
| for mass adoption of their system and eventually morphed the company
| into a manufacturer or more conventional privacy tools. Freedom still
| exists as a product, thought it is aimed at web users, only runs on
| Windows clients, and routes requests through proxy servers owned by
| Zero Knowledge Systems.

Freedom Websecure is a different protocol set from Freedom.net.

Websecure runs on linux, see http://websecure4linux.sourceforge.net/

The Freedom.net code is available for non-commercial use, see
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/02/16/0320238.shtml?tid=158 or the
shmoo group cvs server,
http://cvs.shmoo.com/view/projects/freedom-server/

The problem with running Napster over Freedom was bandwidth costs.
Users may be more willing to pay today, given the clear risk of paying
$10,000 or more in fines.  I'm sure that ZKS would be happy to sell
someone a commercial use license.

Adam

					               -Hume