unintended consequences: Davis recall leads to US internal passports

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Sep 10 15:38:21 PDT 2003

Major Variola (ret) wrote:
> I've read that to enter a Fed building you need "ID".  I'm curious
> what happens if you haven't got it.  Adrian Lamo had his card.
> I'm currently ignoring the conscription notices I get from the
> local jury droids; if I *volunteer* someday (after reviewing
> fija.org) I'll be sure to be without ID.

I don't remember if the Santa Clara County court asked me for
ID when I was last there as a prospective juror.
(And it's probably a bit too much cognitive dissidence for them
if you simultaneously want a parking pass for your car
and don't have your DL because you took the bus :-)

But if you're ignoring jury conscription notices at times that
it's not seriously interfering with your business activities,
you should go check out FIJA.org.
Remember that under the common law, a juror has the power
and responsibility to judge the law as well as the facts of the case,
even though judges and clerks will generally tell you otherwise.

This means that if somebody's on trial for prohibition violations,
you can and should vote Not Guilty if you think Prohibition is a bad law.
That's a large part of how the Fugitive Slave Laws got overturned,
and helped with the demise of alcohol prohibition.

Of course, if a court figures out that you understand this,
and doesn't immediately decide that you're not their type of juror,
they'll probably stick you on traffic accident cases or something
where there's no moral principle of state-vs-citizen conflict,
just a boring who-hit-whose-car kind of conflict.