[p2p-hackers] Project Announcement: P2P Sockets (fwd from bradneuberg at yahoo.com) (fwd from morlockelloi at yahoo.com)

Brad Neuberg bradneuberg at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 12:18:51 PDT 2003

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Morlock Elloi
> <morlockelloi at yahoo.com> -----
>
> From: Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi at yahoo.com>
> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:41:40 -0700 (PDT)
> To: cypherpunks at lne.com
> Subject: Re: [p2p-hackers] Project Announcement: P2P
> Sockets (fwd from
>   bradneuberg at yahoo.com)
>
> > stable IP address. Super-peers on the Jxta network
> run
> > application-level routers which store special
> > information such as how to reach peers, how to
> join
>
> So these super peers are reliable, non-vulnerable,
> although everyone knows
> where they are, because .... ?

These super peers are known as Rendezvous peers in the
Jxta world.  They are as reliable and non-vulnerable
as one could hope for, though I doubt they are
perfect; I am building above the existing Jxta
infrastructure for these.  "Everyone" knows about them
by using a common boostrap server to bootstrap into
the Jxta network to gain the addresses of a few
Rendezvous nodes.  Rendezvous nodes then propagate
information about their existence to other Rendezvous
nodes at various times.  Network partitions are
certainly possible, and the requirement for a common
bootstrap server is fragile.  Jxta, and therefore P2P
Sockets, currently has no protections against
malicious/byzantine peers; it has relatively good
protections against peers that fail non-maliciously.

Brad Neuberg