Digital cash and campaign finance reform

Amir Herzberg amir at herzberg.name
Tue Sep 9 09:31:16 PDT 2003

Steve suggested (see below) that anonymous cash may be useful to hide the
identities of contributors from the party/candidate they contribute to. I'm
afraid this won't work: e-cash protocols are not trying to prevent a
`covert channel` between the payer and payee, e.g. via the choice of random
numbers or amounts. Furthermore even if the e-cash system had such a
feature, it would be of little help, since (a) there will be plenty of
other ways the payer can convince the payee that it made the contribution
and (b) in reality, candidates will have to return the favors even without
knowing for sure they got the money - kind of `risk management` - I'm not
sure what we want is to allow big contributors to gain favors while not
really making as big a contribution as they promised...

Best, Amir Herzberg