Digital cash and campaign finance reform

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Sep 9 10:37:22 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 09:58  AM, ken wrote:

> Tim May wrote:
>
>> In any case, campaign finance reform is essentially uninteresting and
>> statist.
>
> Yes Tim, but as we happen to live in places where states make laws and
> employ men with guns to hurt us if we disobey those laws then we do
> have an interest (in the other sense) in who gets to run the organs of
> the state.
>
> If you live next to the zoo you may be uninterested in the design of
> the lion's cage but you sure as hell aren't disinterested in it.

I wouldn't want to live near a death camp, either, but that doesn't
mean I would think designing better gas chambers is a noble or
interesting thing to do (well, maybe for ten million or so statists and
inner city welfare mutants, but that's for another post).

Designing systems to thwart free speech is not noble, and not very
interesting.

(Campaign finance laws are thwartings of free speech, clearly.)

--Tim May
"That government is best which governs not at all." --Henry David
Thoreau