CAPPS II -- The Latest "Red Scare"

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Sep 9 09:24:54 PDT 2003

"The new Transportation Security Administration system seeks to probe
deeper into each passenger's identity than is currently possible,
comparing personal information against criminal records and
intelligence information. Passengers will be assigned a color code --
green, yellow or red -- based in part on their city of departure,
destination, traveling companions and date of ticket purchase.

"Most people will be coded green and sail through. But up to 8 percent
of passengers who board the nation's 26,000 daily flights will be coded
"yellow" and will undergo additional screening at the checkpoint,
according to people familiar with the program. An estimated 1 to 2
percent will be labeled "red" and will be prohibited from boarding.
These passengers also will face police questioning and may be arrested."

<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1802&ncid=1802&e=2&u=/
washpost/20030909/ts_washpost/a45434_2003sep8>

Charming. Now people face "arrest" (Washington Post story claim) for
merely be tagged as a Red.

Get tagged as a Red, perhaps based on "intelligence" like Usenet
postings, mailing list activity, political activity, and airlines are
ordered to bar use of their services. And arrest follows.

I know the ACLU is already having a field day with this. I wonder what
the charges justifying arrest will be? "Your honor, this man was
flagged "Red" by our computers. We request one million dollars bail.
He's a flight risk....cough."

No wonder the airlines are facing bankruptcy. Except Big Brother is
bailing them out, semi-nationalizing them (probably giving big pieces
of control to Halliburton and other Bush crony companies...even Hitler
was not this transparent).

--Tim May

Join the boycott against Delta Airlines for their support of the Big
Brotherish "CAPPS II" citizen-unit tracking program.

http://www.boycottdelta.org
http://boycottdelta.org/images/deltaeyebanner.gif

With our help, Delta Airlines may be joining United and US Air in the
bankruptcy scrap heap.