Digital cash and campaign finance reform

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Mon Sep 8 15:52:32 PDT 2003

On Monday 08 September 2003 14:34, Ian Grigg wrote:
> Steve Schear wrote:
<anonymous contributions to candidates>

> How would you audit such a system?  I'm not that up
> on political cash, but I would have expected that there
> would be a need to figure out where money was coming
> from, by some interested third party at least.

Would you need to audit it? So long as the contributions can't be tied
to a quid-pro-quo arrangement, let the candidates collect as much as
they can.

> Also there would be a need to prove that the funds
> were getting there, otherwise, I'd be the first to
> jump in there and run the mix.  Or, the mint.

Yah, that's a bigger problem. I guess the first step is, establish a
digital bank with at least the credibility and trustworthiness of an
ordinary, audited and regulated bank. But without the auditing and
regulation because, well, this is the internet age. <grin>

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel

"If someone is so fearful that, that they're going to start using
their weapons to protect their rights, makes me very nervous that
these people have these weapons at all!"  -- Rep. Henry Waxman