Searching for uncopyable key made of sparkles in plastic

Morlock Elloi morlockelloi at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 16:34:22 PDT 2003

> Several months ago, I read about someone who was making a key that
> was difficult if not "impossible" to copy. They mixed sparkly things
> into a plastic resin and let them set. A camera would take a picture

This boils down to difficulty of faking the analog interface.

Anything that regular camera captures the attacker can also capture and
reproduce it for the benefit of the camera. This means that camera has to be
able to distinguish between the real thing and images of the real thing. This
probably means going beyond optical image and somehow detecting 3D coordinates
of particles, forcing the attacker to actually construct a new physical key
carrier.

At the current level of technology and economy, it's cheaper to hire an
unemployed hardware engineer (no, s/w engs are not qualified,) to look at the
key than to construct a 3D particle-sensing camera.

=====
end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows: