Searching for uncopyable key made of sparkles in plastic

Peter Wayner pcw2 at flyzone.com
Tue Sep 2 11:45:43 PDT 2003

Several months ago, I read about someone who was making a key that
was difficult if not "impossible" to copy. They mixed sparkly things
into a plastic resin and let them set. A camera would take a picture
of the object and pass the location of the sparkly parts through a
hash function to produce the numerical key represented by this hunk
of plastic. That numerical value would unlock documents.

This was thought to be very difficult to copy because the sparkly
items were arranged at random. Arranging all of the sparkly parts in
the right sequence and position was thought to be beyond the limits
of precision for humans.

Can anyone give me a reference to this paper/project?

Thanks!

-Peter