Responding to orders which include a secrecy requirement

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Mon Sep 1 15:20:43 PDT 2003

In that case, I would suspect the ISP itself would have incoming/outgoing
feeds from other ISP's.  If that single moral objector ISP refuses to
allow carnivores, the other, not quite as moral ISP's might be persuaded
to allow it, in which case the fedZ get what they want, just one
traceroute hop further up the chain.  Perhaps not all of them, but perhaps
enough of them...  Duh!

That's the thing about the internet - your packets must travel through
other ISP's (unless you're communicating with other nodes hosted by that
single ISP which is unlikely).  From the fedZ point of view, you need not
tap each and every single ISP.  You can tap upstream, and still get the
data without tipping off the target, or his moral objector friends at her
ISP.

At some point every ISP goes through MCI, Sprint, and AT&T, and don't
forget the local (phone company) loops.

Assuming that such a moral objector ISP would exist, it would be foolish
to assume that it would provide much of a measure of protection against
tapping cleartext transmissions.  Hence, encryption is important.  Want
privacy and security?  It's up to you to provide it: encrypt.

 + ^ + :25Kliters anthrax, 38K liters botulinum toxin, 500 tons of   /|\
  \|/  :sarin, mustard and VX gas, mobile bio-weapons labs, nukular /\|/\
<--*-->:weapons.. Reasons for war on Iraq - GWB 2003-01-28 speech.  \/|\/
  /|\  :Found to date: 0.  Cost of war: $800,000,000,000 USD.        \|/
 + v + :           The look on Sadam's face - priceless!
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------