"If you DON'T use encryption, you help the terrorists win"

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Wed Oct 29 08:28:08 PST 2003

The biggest hurdle and the thing that will have the most effect is to have
every MTA out there turn on Start TLS.  It won't provide a big enhancement
in terms of security at the ISP level, but it will blind the global
content search engines everywhere.  Except, of course, at those ISP's
already infected by carnivore boxes - which at least aren't allowed by law
to capture all traffic, but I wouldn't put money that they'd follow it.

So the first course of action is to convince MTA authors everywhere to
enable and turn this on.  Later, they could drop support for non-TLS
traffic.  It could also help against spamming somehow, as it will cost the
spammer a few more CPU cycles. (But this will be a very weak deterrent
against spam.)

The next hurdle will be to get Microsoft Outlook to ship with PGP - it'll
be a very very cold day in hell for that to happen.  :)  So, we'll keep
dreaming and wishing.  Certainly, if it does, only fools will trust it as
secure.

 + ^ + :25Kliters anthrax, 38K liters botulinum toxin, 500 tons of   /|\
  \|/  :sarin, mustard and VX gas, mobile bio-weapons labs, nukular /\|/\
<--*-->:weapons.. Reasons for war on Iraq - GWB 2003-01-28 speech.  \/|\/
  /|\  :Found to date: 0.  Cost of war: $800,000,000,000 USD.        \|/
 + v + :           The look on Sadam's face - priceless!
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------