NSA Turns To Commercial Software For Encryption (fwd from brian-slashdotnews at hyperreal.org)

Declan O'Reilly doreillyi at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 27 14:47:36 PST 2003

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:01:50 -0600 (CST)
"J.A. Terranson" <measl at mfn.org> wrote:

> Am I the only one here who finds this "requirement" excessive?  My god: are
> we looking to keep these secrets for 50 years, or 50000 (or more) years?
>
> Or am I missing something?
>
> --
> Yours,
> J.A. Terranson
> sysadmin at mfn.org
>
> 	"Every living thing dies alone."
> 	Donnie Darko

50 years does sound like a reasonable figure for computing power and the ability to brute force a crack on anything encrypted. If one is lucky the actual time limit will be around 500 years , but with computing power increasing , its possible that what ever was encrypted 10 years ago , is now in danger of being cracked.

And for some things ,there is no statute of limitations.

Declan O'Reilly