"If you use encryption, you help the terrorists win"

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 12:12:07 PST 2003

"YOU want to do the encryption, not the ISP who can be secretly subpoenaed
hand over the plain text."

Well, that too!

My point is and has been "crypto is econnomics" (to paraphrase Tim May
during one of his moments of clarity). Better to get 'them' to get a
subpeona and make 'em expend the effort (and $$$), just to find out the
email's about Pamela Anderson's boobs. Or, better yet, to find out the
enduser also encrypted the email (AND it's about Pamela Anderson's boobs).

Even if they dig out the plaintext, let them spend thousands of $$$ while we
spend pennies. Eventually you gotta figure that'll eat into the invasionary
funds, no? (Or am I being naive?)

-TD

>From: Neil Johnson <njohnsn at njohnsn.com>
>To: cypherpunks at lne.com
>Subject: Re: "If you use encryption, you help the terrorists win"
>Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:37:47 -0600
>
>On Monday 27 October 2003 10:53 am, Tyler Durden wrote:
> >
> > Hum...can an ISP offer encryption as a service?
> >
> > -TD
> >

>Ummm, are we forgetting about the Patriot Act and siblings ?
>
>YOU want to do the encryption, not the ISP who can be secretly subpoenaed
>hand over the plain text.
>
>At least if you get a subpoena you know about it.
>
>--
>Neil Johnson
>http://www.njohnsn.com
>PGP key available on request.

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es