"If you DON'T use encryption, you help the terrorists win"

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 08:50:42 PST 2003

"Basically they say things like "If you think the government can't break all
the encryption schemes that we have, you're nuts."  This guy was a math
major
too, so he understands the principles of crypto."

Basically, the answer was hinted at by another poster.

For anyone who doesn't trust the government, the point to make is that
crypto use is currently a red flag. Last year I went through great pains on
this list to point out that right now the gubmint probably doesn't even need
to break most encrypted messages in order to know something's up. This is
only possible because outside of a coporate context few individuals use
encryption.

If everybody uses encryption, then it matters MUCH less if the government
can break any one message. What costs us pennies to encrypt may cost them
thousands to break. That's the assymmetry we asyms can exploit. That's where
we need to depart from a Tim May lone wolf approach to your friendly,
smiling America-loving flag-waving cypherpunks: "If you don't use encryption
then you help the terrorists win".

This statement has the added irony of being objectively true, according to
more international definitions of 'terrorism'.

-TD

>From: Burning Cows with Strauss <steve at njord.org>(by way of Burning Cows
>with Strauss <steve at njord.org>)
>To: cypherpunks at lne.com
>Subject: Re: "If you use encryption, you help the terrorists win"
>Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:37:47 -0600

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es