NSA Turns To Commercial Software For Encryption

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Oct 27 08:56:33 PST 2003

At 11:00 PM 10/26/03 -0800, Morlock Elloi wrote:
>Isn't it really simpler to use RSA and DH and ECC in series ? Why
choose ONE ?
>There is no good reason for that.

1. Silly Elloi, you can only use DH when both parties are online.

And of course RSA and DH have similar failure modes -ie factoring.

ECC may have similar failure modes with RSA/DH, I'm not sufficiently
informed.

A chain of different kinds of padlocks might look strong but they all
dissolve in aqua regia.

>Looks like PSYOP to me.

That's an interesting explanation I hadn't considered in my previous
post.  (Sort of
like putting a stone facade on that new iron bridge because some folks
don't
trust the newfangled iron bridges.)  However using such keys are a heavy
practical
cost for PSYOPs.