"If you use encryption, you help the terrorists win"

Morlock Elloi morlockelloi at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 26 22:56:05 PST 2003

> I have a few friends like this....anyone have suggestions for ways to change
> their minds?
>
> Basically they say things like "If you think the government can't break all
> the encryption schemes that we have, you're nuts."  This guy was a math major
> too, so he understands the principles of crypto.

It is impossible to rationalise long term consequences of data harvesting into
immediate threat for most people. The only way to change behaviour in absence
of the perceived threat is propaganda ... and those who have means for that
have different agendas. What's left is a personal-level propaganda but the
effects are negligible.

You can't really save anyone.

You can, however, make crypto tools that make things easier. Or surveillance
tools that make things obvious. The latter, I think, is more effective. Time to
open source Echelon ?

=====
end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows: