"If you use encryption, you help the terrorists win"

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sun Oct 26 17:45:13 PST 2003

At 12:57 PM 10/26/03 -0800, Jurgen Botz wrote:
>Wasn't there a Mafioso who got busted and convicted based on
>evidence that had been PGP encrypted and where they stole the
>key with a keyboard dongle?

Nicodemo Scarfo.  He used his Dad's federal-prison ID number,
but the Feds couldn't guess that, so they blackbagged his
computer with a dongle.

I don't know who was lamer.

It *is* a parable for our community; they could also have used
videobugs.

There was also, later, some dude who keyboard-bugged Kinkos
and got caught.  Another sermon from the mount.

What *is* your threat model?