"If you didn't pay for it, you've stolen it!" [reply to Sunder]

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Oct 25 19:06:49 PDT 2003

At 07:01 AM 10/25/03 -0400, Sunder wrote:
>If you bought an audio DVD and your car doesn't have a DVD player, or
your
>only portable stereo system can only play tapes, you're not allowed to
>legally copy the music off the DVD onto other media to play in other
>devices.

IANAL so I'm not actually sure about duping DVDs to tapes.  But you
*can*,
do it, trivially, regardless of the evil digital gremlins, which makes
the point about the
Analog Hole.

And of course, if you rip to an MP3, that is the last ADC your content
need ever see.

Game over, Valenti.  Get a real job.

-----
"all the normalities of the social contract are abandoned in war"
Jack Valenti MPAA pres, in LATimes on Kerry's war crimes