"If you didn't pay for it, you've stolen it!"

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Fri Oct 24 17:10:00 PDT 2003

At 03:00 PM 10/24/2003 -0400, Cael Abal wrote:
>>What *is* a library?
>>1. A library is legal.  A library needn't be licensed by any state
>>entity.
>>2. Thus, I can declare my computer a library.  The only requirement is
>>that I own a license to what I lend, and that only 1 user exercise that
>>license at a time.  That is what a library is.
>
>An interesting idea, Major -- but unfortunately nothing is simple these
>days.  Libraries, I would wager, likely have very specific legal
>definitions (for tax purposes if for no other reason).

Some libraries already offer a service similar to what I suggested so their
patrons can read digital copies of works on- or off-line on their PCs.
<https://194.109.142.142:1984/redirect.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.netlibrary.com%2F>http://www.netlibrary.com/
I fail to see the fundamental difference between citizens lending .mp3s and
public libraries lending CDs and DVDs, unless one accepts a similar
argument that only government recognized and credentialed people will be
considered "reporters" under the law.

steve