RSA performance on Athlon64 vs. Itanium

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 23 20:33:33 PDT 2003

"Lucky Green" <shamrock at cypherpunks.to> writes:

>I since ran additional tests. All tests are for 1024-bit RSA signatures.

Taking some guesses here at the code being used:

>1) OpenSSL as shipping with the RedHat Taroon beta for Athlon 64:
>
>921 RSA signatures/second

x86-32 hand-tuned asm optimised for Pentium Pro.

>2) OpenSSL compiled manually:
>
>1313 RSA signatures/second

x86-64 code, gcc optimised for Athlon64.

>3) Performance benchmark application made available to reviewers:
>
>Exceeding 3800 RSA signatures/second.

x86-64 hand-tuned asm optimised for Athlon64.  I'm guessing this one has the
same catch as the Itanium speed test.

>I am getting ready to buy a second one to upgrade my other box at home.

My PoS hardware test PC and a $25 Broadcom chip beats your Athlon 64 :-).

Peter.