"If you didn't pay for it, you've stolen it!"

Harmon Seaver hseaver at cybershamanix.com
Fri Oct 24 08:14:08 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:43:22PM -0700, Tim May wrote:

> TM: the last two paragraphs were of course added by me. But the point
> is still valid, that much of Hollywood's claims about "illegal
> listening" are not really any different from "reading without buying"
> books and magazines in libraries. The more urgent issue is this crap

   Not to mention all the CDs and movies available in libraries. What's the
difference in borrowing CDs from a library and taking them home and taping or
mp3ing them and getting them from the net?

> about corporations buying time in public schools. If I had a kid in a
> school and it was proposed that Nike, Time-Warner, Coke, or Intel would
> be buying teaching time, I'd tell them to stop it pretty fucking quick
> or face the Mother of All Columbines.

   Or even worse the practice of Coke, Pepsi, et al paying money to the school
for exclusive rights to market their product. Also sort of like what M$ did in
schools and colleges -- gave them some free computers on the condition that all
competing software be removed from computer labs. Not surprising at all that
megacorps now want to buy teaching time in schools. In Japan the megacorp have
long run their own schools for workers kids to ensure the loyalty of their
future workers.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix