[mnet-devel] DOS in DHTs (fwd from amichrisde at yahoo.de)

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Wed Oct 22 16:47:02 PDT 2003

At 03:21 PM 10/20/2003 -0700, Morlock Elloi wrote:
>Looks like the only way to shield from DOS is to raise the cost of DOS. This
>will eventually eliminate the low cost of Internet bandwidth, one way or
>another. You don't get nearly the same amount of DOS on your telephone as you
>do on Internet, right ? Because telephone call is not free and/or it's
>traceable.

And there has been creditable prototyping in this area, e.g., Camram.  But
not many skilled coders seem to have jumped on these projects to help out.

>NDL can happen. Compare it to the early situation with cars or guns. No
>regulation in the beginning, you could buy or make your own and do as you
>please.

I know people who still do.

>Then, when commerce began to depend on both (transport of goods and
>force monopolies) they got regulated. I see no difference between that and
>computer with an Internet link. NDL is a possible reality. It used to be
>normal
>to drive or carry a weapon without license. These days, they catch you sooner
>or later and beat you into pulp. Same thing. Dreaming about it not happening
>will get you nowhere.

I think the U.S. Constitution will stand in the way of widespread adoption
of NDLs.  They may have regulated firearms, though these laws are widely
ignored by citizens, but I have yet to see a license for owning a
typewriter or PC proposed.  They have already ruled numerous times that the
Internet is deserving of at least as free and access as print media and
political flyers (which can be anonymnous and still pass legal muster).

steve