[IP] FCC readies rule to block Internet piracy (fwd from dave at farber.net)

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:48:43 PDT 2003

>The federal government is preparing for the first time to
>require that personal computers and other consumer electronics devices
>contain technology to help block Internet piracy of digital entertainment.

Just wait until MS unleashes a brood of lobbyists when nobody buys the new
Palladium-ed operating systems.

State control is one thing. State control that will do absolutely nothing is
another. This cat's already out of the bag. As far as I'm concerned, the
coming collapse of the music industry will be one of the few convincing
pieces of evidence that God exists.

-TD

> [...]
> >
> >WASHINGTON -- The federal government is preparing for the first time to
> >require that personal computers and other consumer electronics devices
> >contain technology to help block Internet piracy of digital
>entertainment.
> >A rule being considered by the Federal Communications Commission is one
>of
> >a series of proposals pushed by the entertainment industry to help thwart
> >copying and online trading of movies and television shows that
> >increasingly are being broadcast in digital form with high-quality
>picture
> >and sound.
> >
> >But the new rule also would force consumers to purchase new equipment if
> >they wanted to record enhanced digital-quality television programs and
> >replay them on other machines.
> >
> >Opponents of the proposed rule, including many technology companies and
> >consumer groups, say it won't work. They are especially concerned that
>the
> >plan might lead to government regulation of how personal computers and
> >other devices are built, particularly if hackers crack the system and
> >further changes are deemed necessary.
> >
> >FCC officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said they expect
> >the agency to settle on details of the "broadcast flag" rule by the end
>of
> >the month. The broadcast flag takes its name from the computer code that
> >would be embedded in digital television signals and would be read by
> >"compliant" devices such as a television or a digital video recorder.
> >
> >The rule would not affect consumers who record shows with VCRs. Nor would
> >it affect programming received on a cable or satellite system, in part
> >because consumers pay for that content.
> >
> >But the entertainment industry does not want digitally enhanced
> >"high-value" entertainment sent free over the air to be easily copied and
> >distributed on the Internet.
> >
> >FCC officials said they expect the final rule to enable competition among
> >different means of deploying the flag system to protect broadcasts,
>rather
> >than the government anointing one in particular.
> >
> >Unlike with recent FCC decisions on high-speed Internet access and media
> >consolidation that have deeply split the five-member commission, none of
> >the three Republicans and two Democrats has led a public campaign against
> >the broadcast flag.
> >
> >"I'm optimistic we'll have a clean majority," said one senior agency
> >official. "The commission has acted in the area of digital television in
> >very bipartisan fashion."

>Archives at: http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/
>
>----- End forwarded message -----
>-- Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org">leitl</a>
>ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org
>8B29F6BE: 099D 78BA 2FD3 B014 B08A  7779 75B0 2443 8B29 F6BE
>
>[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa