C3 Nehemia C5P with better hardware RNG and AES support

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Thu Oct 16 09:47:19 PDT 2003

At 11:06 PM 10/15/03 +0200, Ralf-P. Weinmann wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 05:14:17PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>> latest VIA C3 C5P does 1 GHz at 7 W power dissipation,
>> has now two hardware RNG engines (and two x86 opcodes to
>> read them), and an Advanced Cryptography Engine
>> which can do AES (Rijndael128? doesn't say) at
>> 12.5 GBit/s rate.
>
>Look at the PadLock ACE programming guide [1]. Only seems to support
Rijndael
>with a block size of 128 bits (= AES); it allows both key scheduling in

>hardware and in software, the latter allowing you to have your own
custom
>key schedule. It also allows you to increase the number of rounds if
you
>think Rijndael-128's security margins are too low. Props to the VIA
engineers
>for both the customizability.

Which is unlikely to be used, at it would be incompatible with
everything else.

The "customizability" is likely a flexibility they built for their own
(debug, architectural)
reasons and decided to expose to users.

What they need is a USB or Ethernet interface to catch up to others.
However the
attraction of a relatively fast x86 (vs say a 100 Mhz MIPS or ARM) might
offset this
lack of integration for some designs.

Am surprised not to see a little DES core stuffed into the spare space
on the die, but
kinda nostalgically pleased to see DES's EOL.  RIP.

>The errate are funny as well. Looks like the

I found the following lexical rule mildly amusing, because I have seen
the same thing
added to military docs to make them politically correct (he -> he or
she)
without editing the whole damn thing.

"NOTE: Throughout this document, a reference to encryption generally
means both encryption and
decryption."