clicking on ads = funding terrorists

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Tue Oct 14 09:31:36 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 02:10  AM, Bill Stewart wrote:

>>> Subject: US State Department extends FTO list to include Internet
>>> sites
>>> http://washingtontimes.com/national/20031010-112733-8086r.htm
>> Excerpted from politech.  Consider the 1st Amend implications,
>> and how clicking on a banner ad (which automatically would
>> pay the source site) makes you a terrorist supporter.  Got assets?
>
> Depends on how they get paid for the ads - if anybody still pays per
> view
> rather than per click-through, even looking at the site could count,
> at least if your local Feds listen to John Ashcroft.

Such a case (of an individual being charged for clicking on a banner
ad) will never go to trial, but if it did, an obvious defense would be
that those who click on an ad are not the ones _paying_ any money to
anyone. They lack "agency."

And any argument that the act of clicking on a site or ad for "Kach"
induces _others_ to pay money to Kach and hence is some kind of
conspiracy to fund Kach would be laughed out of court. This year. Maybe
not in three years, however, at the rate we are descending into
Wonderland.

--Tim May