RSA performance on Athlon64 vs. Itanium

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Sun Oct 12 22:49:19 PDT 2003

I just picked up an Athlon64 3200+, which runs at a 2 GHz clock speed.
Using the Red Hat for AMD64 beta and the version of OpenSSL that ships
with that beta, I get 922 1024-bit RSA signs per second. This is a tad
less RSA signatures per second than I have seen on an 800MHz Itanium
using highly optimized assembler. That's rather poor performance on the
Athlon64.

Are the figures that I am seeing typical for OpenSSL on the Athlon64?
Has anybody here seen different figures using optimized code?

Thanks,
--Lucky Green