base conversion

Tim May timcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 8 11:45:46 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 06:16  AM, Sarad AV wrote:

> hi,
>
> If we are to convert a k-bit integer n to a base b
> number,it takes us O(log n) if the base b is a power
> of 2.
> eg. converting (11111)base to base 16
>
> 0001 1111
>   ^    ^
>   1    F  in hex.
>
> using a look up table.
>
> Is there an algorithm with time complexity O(log n)
> which allows such conversion to base b ,when b is not
> a power of 2?

I have decoded this latest bit of "homework stego" and have found the
plaintext:

"Attack the Islamic Center in Hyderabad at the rise of the new moon."

I assume Sarad's readers have now gotten coordinated.

--Tim May
"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
--Unknown Usenet Poster