Freenet fork appears likely (was Re: Gmane -- Re: Why is Freenet so sick at the moment?)

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Mon Oct 6 19:54:15 PDT 2003

>On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 11:31:36PM -0700, Ian Clarke spake thusly:
> > I have never ever characterized Freenet as being anything other than in
> > development.  If you don't like the fact that Freenet is taking so-long
> > to perfect, then either help, or use Earth Station 5 - I hear its great.
>
>You never said anything to this effect when people started putting things
>in the network that could get them sent to prison so it was rather
>implicit.
>
>And now after finding that fred is unable to open /dev/random on my system
>due to what appears to be a bug (opening for write instead of read) I am
>now worried about the security of the encryption due to lack of entropy.
>I'm glad I don't use freenet for anything illegal/unpopular but I'm quite
>worried for those who do.

On IIRC a new channel #fredisdead has been receiving quite a bit of
interest (along with discussions on #anonymous and #freenet).  It appears
that a small group of developers, fed up with the recent spate of Freent
problems has decided to take a step back, to release 692 and have started a
revolt.

http://mids.student.utwente.nl/~mids/freenet/fid.html

steve